Disclosure: Our recommendations are based on our testing, research and analysis. We may earn a commission on products purchased using links on this page.
Why would any responsible pet parent give human pills to dogs without consulting the vet?
The answer is they won’t. However, dogs are born foragers, and they have been known to ingest pills from the floor.
To be safe, it’s always ideal to keep your pills locked up or someplace high off the ground. You can also keep your dog distracted by giving it a few chew toys to play with. These should keep it satiated for the day and prevent it from going on a hunting mission when you are not around. Also, make it a point to buy from reputed stores when buying pet drugs online. Some unethical online pet stores sell counterfeit pet drugs, which can end up causing harm.
While you should give no human medication to dogs without the vet’s approval, some are more dangerous than others. The following are ten human medicines that can cause fatal reactions in dogs.
Paracetamol: It may be your go-to painkiller, but paracetamols are incredibly harmful when ingested by dogs. An overdose of paracetamol causes liver failure, kidney failure, blood cell damage, and eventual death.
Morphine-Based Pain Medications: Any medication that contains morphine, including Tramadol, Methadone, Fentanyl, and Codeine, is a serious threat to dogs. Accidental ingestion of a few pills can cause extreme wobbliness, severe difficulty in breathing. Fatal instances of toxicity from morphine-based drugs in dogs are not uncommon.
Fat Loss Medications That Includes Caffeine: Many fat medications contain high amounts of caffeine. These fat loss pills are often dangerous for humans, let alone dogs. Caffeine poisoning leads to shivering, seizures, and heart failure.
Naproxen: Another popular human pain medication on our list, Naproxen, can be fatal to dogs even in low dosages.
Vitamin D Supplements or Pills: Anything that contains high amounts of Vitamin D can be dangerous for dogs. Vitamin D poisoning (Yes, it’s a real thing that affects humans) can be fatal for dogs. It often leads to seizures, violent muscle spasms, and heart failure in dogs.
Bodybuilding Supplements: Some pet parents think that bodybuilding supplements will help their dogs grow muscles and get stronger. Bodybuilding supplements contain high amounts of micronutrients. When consumed in excess amount, some of these nutrients can be fatal to dogs. Dogs are unable to digest these supplements. Dogs often have bloody diarrhea and stomach ailments.
Pseudoephedrine: Pseudoephedrine is a group of human medications used as decongestants. If ingested by a small dog, as low as three pills can be fatal.
Ibuprofen: According to some statistics, almost 3% percent of all dog owners mistake feeding human painkillers to dogs. Dogs overdosing on Ibuprofen often experience bloody diarrhea, kidney failure, and vomiting.
Alprazolam: Alprazolam is a well-known medication that’s used to control sudden bouts of anxiety and sleeplessness. There are plenty of safe anti-anxiety pet drugs that can help calm the nerves. Feeding Alprazolam can cause severe drops in blood pressure levels and easily be fatal. If your dog is suffering from anxiety, it’s best to consult a vet.
If you need to talk to a vet as soon as possible, we recommend our partner Vetster:
- Video chat 24/7 with licensed vets and nurses
- Unlimited text and video calls
- 7 day free trial; then $24/month
- Discounts on prescriptions & medicine
- $3000 safety net for emergencies diagnosed by their televet team
- Cancel anytime
Please give us feedback on this post:
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?