Disclosure: Our recommendations are based on our testing, research and analysis. We may earn a commission on products purchased using links on this page.
By guest blogger, Andrew Guerra
A dog who enjoys eating chocolate looks pretty cute. Many dog owners mistakenly assume that chocolate can be used as a reward. However, this situation can be health-hazardous. Certainly, your dog will gladly eat chocolate, but what will be the consequences? Chocolate for dogs is not only harmful but sometimes very dangerous.
Experts state that chocolate is toxic to dogs because it contains substances known as methylxanthines, specifically caffeine and theobromine. Dogs metabolize or break down theobromine much slower than humans. Eventually, this can result in pancreatitis in dogs.
Thus, chocolate is one of the foods that dogs should not eat, and below there are five reasons why.
Chocolate contains theobromine
Theobromine is a bitter alkaloid. Alkaloids are nitrogen-rich organic substances. Theobromine is mainly obtained from cocoa beans, but it is also found in cola nuts and trees of the Holly family. Small amounts of theobromine are found in tea tree leaves and coffee beans. Dogs do not metabolize theobromine as efficiently and quickly as humans, so they are more sensitive to these chemicals. Besides, chocolate contains caffeine, which is also toxic to dogs. This chemical is equally toxic to cats.
Different types of chocolate contain different amounts of toxic substances
Thus, dark chocolate contains the highest level of theobromine, and milk chocolate contains less theobromine. Here is a table of product types and the amount of toxic substances contained.
|Cocoa beans||300-1500 mg/oz||–|
|Dry cocoa powder||400-737 mg/oz||70 mg/oz|
|Unsweetened baker’s chocolate||390-450 mg/oz||47 mg/oz|
|Dark semisweet chocolate||135 mg/oz||20 mg/oz|
|Milk chocolate||44-60 mg/oz||6 mg/oz|
Substances contained in chocolate (theobromine and caffeine) negatively affect all vital systems of the dog.
All the vital systems of the dog suffer from the consumption of chocolate. For example, caffeine can cause overstimulation, increased blood pressure, and increased heart rate. Also, according to veterinarians, theobromine negatively affects the functioning of the intestines, heart, and kidneys of the animal and the nervous system.
An allergic reaction to chocolate can be severe.
Symptoms of canine chocolate poisoning include vomiting (sometimes with blood), diarrhea, anxiety and hyperactivity, tachycardia, increased blood pressure, increased body temperature, frequent urination, muscle tension, coordination problems, and coma.
The amount of chocolate eaten plays an important role
100-150 mg of theobromine per 1 kg of body weight can lead to tragic consequences. For instance, for a 15 kg dog, the dangerous amount of theobromine is 1500-2250 mg.
What to Do If Your Dog Ate Chocolate?
If your dog has eaten chocolate, take it to the vet, even if you think your pet has eaten a small amount, or it will not affect your dog’s health. Be sure to pay attention to how much chocolate the dog ate, its type, and when it was consumed. If no more than 3 hours have passed since consuming chocolate, then the vet will prescribe gastric lavage and the intake of sorbents to cleanse the body. Also, in some cases, symptomatic medications (fever pills or pills to lower blood pressure) are needed.
Thus, chocolate harms the cardiovascular system, nervous system, and digestive system. If you want your dog to be healthy and live a fulfilling life, then choose the right food for their breed, be sure to consult your veterinarian on dog treat options, and provide your pet with a balanced diet.
Let’s talk canines, or even better, let’s learn about dogs. Gain more canine knowledge through Acme Canine’s social media: website, Facebook, YouTube, Instagram
Please give us feedback on this post:
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?