7 Common Things Around the House That are Toxic for Your Dog

Our furry friends know how to get themselves into some serious mischief so, here are 7 common things around the house that are toxic for your dog and need to be kept safe.

Our dogs love nothing more than exploring the world by putting everything and anything in their mouth. Unfortunately, they’re not very good at discerning what should or shouldn’t be ingested. That means it’s on us to protect them from themselves and keep harmful materials out of their reach.

So, here are 7 common things around the house that are toxic for your dog and need to be kept safe:

Chocolate

This is one of the most recognizable and regularly cited toxic foods dogs can’t eat. Chocolate can make your dog very, very sick indeed.

And why is that? Chocolate contains theobromine. That’s a methylxanthine (of which caffeine is also a product) that dogs cannot break down the same way we humans can. It can result in cardiac arrest and seizures in canines.

Keep all chocolate safely stored well out of reach, and be careful not to leave any half-eaten candy bars lying around. If your dog does ingest chocolate, monitor them for the following symptoms:

  • Vomiting and/or diarrhea
  • Extreme thirst
  • Heavy panting
  • Increased urination
  • Increased heart rate
  • Muscle tremors
  • Seizures

If you notice any of them, get your dog to the vet straight away.

 Antifreeze

Antifreeze is toxic for dogs for the same reasons it’s toxic for humans. The problem is, we generally know not to ingest it!  Plus, antifreeze smells very sweet so that it can be almost irresistible to your pooch. If your dog ingests antifreeze, you may notice:

  • Lethargy
  • Staggering on their feet
  • Seizures
  • Excessive thirst
  • Increased urination
  • Vomiting

The scary thing is that it only takes a tiny amount of antifreeze ingestion for it to be fatal. Ensure this product is stored in a secure cabinet away from the ground where your dog cannot get to it.

Plants

It’s not something that immediately springs to mind when you think “poisonous for dogs.” But some fairly common house plants are toxic to dogs.

Take a “better safe than sorry” approach and keep the following plants out of your home:

  • Azaleas
  • Daffodil bulbs
  • Bluebells
  • Foxgloves
  • Hemlock
  • Hyacinth
  • Hydrangea
  • Ivy
  • Lily of the valley
  • Nightshade
  • Rhododendron
  • Rhubarb leaves
  • Sweet pea
  • Tulip bulbs
  • Wisteria
  • Yew

If your dog ingests any of the above, you should seek veterinary help as soon as possible.

Detergents

Many common soaps and detergents such as fabric softeners can be highly toxic to dogs. As with other cleaning products or household chemicals, make sure they are stored securely and in a place where your dog cannot get to them.

If you notice drooling, burns in or around the mouth, pawing at the mouth, difficulty breathing, and you think your dog may have had access to detergents, get them to the vet straight away.

Gardening Products

If you’re using gardening products like weed killers, pesticides, or any other chemical gardening product, a good rule of thumb is to wait at least 48 hours before allowing your pet onto the area. That’s about how long it takes for grass to absorb the gardening products.

Not only can it be highly toxic to your dog if ingested, but it has the potential to cause cancer and other health problems if your dog is regularly exposed.

Pest Control Poisons

You wouldn’t eat mouse or rat poison or lick an area where you’ve sprayed for ants, but that doesn’t mean your dog wouldn’t. 

Consider using chemical-free methods to avoid poisoning. This could mean using flypaper instead of spray and traditional mouse traps instead of poison. You can also research pest control specialists who practice pet-friendly methods to keep your dog safe!

De-icers

De-icing products are a necessity in many parts of the world. But they can be highly toxic for your dog. Not only do you need to worry about storing de-icing products securely, but you need to make sure your dog doesn’t walk over the chemicals and then lick their paws.

That goes for rock-salt, grit, and chemical sprays. Not only can it burn their poor paws, but ingestion can lead to:

To avoid kidney failure and give your pet their best chance for survival, it’s essential to immediately get them to the vet if you notice these symptoms or become aware that they have ingested de-icing products.

We must keep our dogs safe from harm. That means more than regular vet visits – it means keeping them safe from harm in the home! So, be sure to keep all these items securely stored and well away from your dog. 

Let’s talk dogs, or even better, let’s learn about dogs.  Set aside some time to receive Spike’s dog blogs by Acme Canine.
Follow by Email
Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
RSS