Teaching your dog obedience commands Obedience will teach your dog focus and self restraint while making him better behaved. Obedience is also a great way to mentally stimulate your dog.
Here are some great ways to use commands to make life with your dog easier:
- Have your dog sit at the door until verbally released before going out the door
- Have your dog sit at the door until verbally released before entering the door and again when inside. You can even have your dog sit while you wipe each one of his paws dry of mud or rain.
- A dog cannot run out of the house or jump out of the car if he is sitting
- Have your dog sit while you examine his eyes, nose, mouth, ears
- A dog cannot jump on a person if he is sitting
- Have your dog sit in conjunction with giving him his food dish. You can also practice taking away his food dish while he is eating.
- A dog cannot lunge at the end of a leash
- Have your dog sit while someone is petting him
- A dog cannot knock over a small child if you ask him to sit instead
- Have your dog sit when putting on his collar
- A dog cannot yank you on a leash while you are talking with a neighbor if he is sitting
- Have your dog sit while you brush him or cut his nails
- Keeps your dog’s focus on you
- Heel your dog to the car and have him sit before entering
- Heel your dog when he is over-excited or anxious
- A dog can be kept out from underfoot while you are preparing dinner in a down
- Put your dog in a down when answering the doorbell
- A dog cannot knock or trample someone if he is in a down
- Have your dog in a down while eating dinner
- A dog can be kept from begging if he is in a down
- A dog that will down for you in a public situation around distractions is a good sign the dog is under control. This dog will more likely be invited over friends’ and family’s homes, outdoor cafes, local businesses.
- Can bring peace to your household
- Is useful when you are at the vet
- Have your dog stand when you brush him
- Is useful when you are at the groomers
- Have your dog stand while you bath him
- Allows you to make your way around your dog when you need to
- Is taught so that you will have the ability to keep your dog safe should the need arise