Dogs like to eat and most of them like to eat everything that comes their way and this can include plants.
By Guest Blogger, Laureetta Williams
While some plants are good for dogs such as grass when they have an upset stomach, other plants can be toxic to dogs. They are curious animals so it would be up to you to make sure that they do not end up swallowing something that will do more harm to them than any amount of good or rubbing against something that can irritate their skin.
- Umbrella Plant
- Tulip Bulb
- Sweet Pea
- Rhubarb leaves
- Morning Glory
- Lily of The Valley
- Day Lilies
- Daffodil Bulbs
- Asparagus Fern
- Amaryllis Bulbs
These are the more common ones but to get more information speak to your vet as well as research what type of plants you could have in your garden just to be on the safe side. Or if you are landscaping then you can choose the plants that are not as harmful to your pets to make yours and their lives more fun and easier.
What Happens If Your Dog Comes in Connect with a Toxic Plant?
While each plant can give different types of symptoms when they are digestion and the most common ones are diarrhea, vomiting, differences in the urine, drooling and your dog can show signs of looking weaker than they did before. Other signs that your dog came in contact with something that does not really like them is a loose of appetite, some coughing as well as drooling. If they lick a toxic plant then they could end up experiencing irritation on the lips, inside their mouth and on their tongue, as well as their esophagus (the tube that connects the mouth and the stomach).
Dogs can come across a lot of different types of plants while they are going for a walk. They do not only need to eat the toxic plants for it to have an effect on them, but they can also simply rub against them. Some plants that touch their skin can cause itchiness, irritation, blisters, and rashes.
How to Help Your Dog?
It is very important that you keep an eye on your pets and notice any changes in their behavior. Dogs often show, and rarely tell, what is wrong with them and that they are feeling ill. If you suspect that your dog has had an encounter with a toxic plant then you should take them to the vet right away. They can get into contact with plants either in your garden, park, going for a walk and potentially from other dogs that are lost (and if you do so happen to come across any lost dogs, help them become found dogs by reporting them to certain websites).
It may also be a good idea to have a picture or a sample of the plant that they could have eaten or rubbed against. Different types of toxins from plants require different types of treatments that your vet would know how to do. However, bring them a sample or picture of the plant can make it easier and quicker for them to narrow it down in order to get to work.
There are a few ways that your dog can come across toxic plants that are beyond your control. However, you can try to control what goes into your garden as well as the paths you two take while you go for their daily walk. It can be a good idea to keep an eye on your dog and notice if they are acting sick or losing their want to eat their food. Also, try to keep track of what plants are in your garden as well as what the toxic plants look like. It would be best to be over-prepared instead of under. You should still let your dog explore the great outdoors just make sure they do not eat or go against something that truly does not like them.