By Guest Blogger, Lori Longoria
One of the best things in the world is having a dog as a pet but it is sad to see him grow old. You might even notice that his walking, running and all the other activities slow down. So, it means you need to make sure about the issues when you shower him. Of course, it must be exciting for you when bathing your pet but it can be pretty hard as well. If you are not aware of his or her health issues it might lead to severe problems.
Assume if, your pet is down with arthritis will it be okay to shower him without proper considerations? When your pet was a baby it would have been very hard to shower him so the same procedures will repeat again when he grows old. So, as the owner, you should bear in mind to not to shower an elderly dog in a careless way. If you take some important things into consideration you will be able to ensure the dog’s safety. There are owners who do not have much knowledge related to bathing a dog so they don’t focus on the important factors and such owners must focus on the important factors before they bathe their pets. Obviously, you might be a busy person still try to make time for your adorable pet. Now, let us dive in to find out more details.
Things needed to bathe the dog
We, people have the common sense to check whether the water is cold or not but dogs they are innocent creatures whom we should take care of. When your dog grows old you should treat him like you treat a child because it becomes a fragile creature. When the dog grows old it develops a different skin and coat due to their age. So, the skin is likely to dry out soon, so as the dog owners you should make sure to keep the dog hydrated.
You should purchase the conditioner and the shampoo which are specially designed for the sensitive skin. If you have a pet you should treat it in the best manner and if you think that you cannot do it, better not have the pet. Along with the conditioner and shampoo, what else should you have?
You should have warm towels, a comb, a cup, and better have a soft piece of cloth to rub the dog when showering it. You should have all these items near your because you cannot run inside to get the things as it is not recommended to leave your elderly dog in the water for too long.
It is better if you set up the towel before you bathe the dog because what if you could not set it up once you shower the dog. You should bear in mind; the senior dogs should not be shown to water for too long so it is better if you wrap it once it is out of the bathtub.
The procedures of bathing the dog
You should not plunk the senior dog to the water because it might become anxious and afraid. We do agree that it is not easy to shower an elderly dog so you should have the proper understanding of the ways to do it. You should shower the dog step by step without doing it at once because some dogs have health issues. If you are bathing the senior dog you should make sure to follow these steps;
- Before you bring him to the bathroom, you should make sure to fill the bathtub with warm water. You should not keep it a secret instead make sure to let the dog know that you are getting ready to shower him.
- You should fill the bathtub about halfway and then, place your dog in the tub. While you are bathing him you should praise him and adore him with love. You should use the cup to wash them thoroughly and make sure to soak their coat completely.
- After wetting the coat, you should massage gently without hurting him. If he has arthritis issues, you should massage those areas gently to soothe him because it will let him relax and make him feel comfortable. When you are massaging, you should make sure to use a soothing voice. As we said, use the washcloth to rub the neck and face areas.
- Next, you should take the conditioner and massage it on your dog’s coat thoroughly. When massaging talk to him by using adorable words because he might be afraid of the soap bubbles. You should massage the sore areas if you want to make him feel great. Once you have applied the conditioner you can rinse your dog thoroughly.
- Taking him out of the bathtub should be done carefully so do not rush when doing this step. You should raise him out of the bathtub and place him on the towel. You should wrap the towel around him and use the towel to dry his coat and the skin. If he wants, let him shake so the fur gets dried furthermore. As it is an elderly dog, you should let him rest for some time and then brush his fur gently.
- If you want to shower an elderly dog it would not be difficult because now, you are through with the steps so you should do it accurately. You should take the time to bathe your senior dog in the smoothest way because they are too fragile. You, the dog owner should know what to do and what not to do when bathing your dog. Even if the dogs are aging they are still lovable so you should have them close to you no matter what. It is a must to focus on the health issues your dog has because only then, you can take necessary steps to avoid any severe problems.
As the dog owner, you should not change the dog’s routine because if it changes they may feel uncomfortable.
I am a writer, blogger and much more. An interior designer. An artist. An entertainer. AND a person who genuinely loves interior design and the people living in it 😉 You can visit me at walkinshowers.org.